Even considering the most well-adjusted among us, everybody is somewhat bonkers. If you say you are not, that’s the poof you are! Nothing makes your characters more real and indivual that to make them act a bit nutty. The field of psychyitry has given all these good names and descriptions for different dsorders and tendancies, so why not use them?
There is one group of odd behavior.
- Paranoid personality disorder – characterized by irrational suspicions and mistrust of others.
- Schizoid personality disorder – lack of interest in social relationships, seeing no point in sharing time with others.
- Schizotypal personality disorder – characterized by social isolation, anxiety in social situations, and odd behavior or thinking.
There is another group for eradic disorders.
- Antisocial personality disorder – a disregard for the rights of others, lack of empathy, and usually a pattern of regular criminal activity.
- Borderline personality disorder – extreme “black and white” thinking, instability in relationships, identity and behavior often leading to self-harm.
- Histrionic personality disorder – attention-seeking behavior including inappropriately seductive behavior and shallow or exaggerated emotions.
- Narcissistic personality disorder – a pattern of grandioity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy. Preoccupations with fantasies, including a sense of entitlement.
Still, another collection centers on fearful disorders.
- Avoidant personality disorder – feelings of social inhibition and social inadequacy, extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation and avoidance of social interaction.
- Dependent personality disorder – psychological dependence on other people.
- Obsessive-complsive personality disorder – characterized by rigid conformity to rules, moral codes and excessive orderliness.
Not only do mental ticks make your characters unique and real, it makes their own decissions an obstacle to overcome. Your prose becomes much more entertaining for your readers. And what’s more, it’s fun!
I would like to invite everyone to be a part of my monthly newsletter, THE PANDORICA OPENS. If you would like to sign up, drop me an email, email@example.com, and I’ll add you to the list. This is exceptionally timely now since I will launch my novel, PRINCE, on November 6th. Newsletter subscribers get access to early releases, extra goodies, as well price breaks – and a few free copies will be available.